Sunday, February 17, 2008

Writing Cover Letters

Being new to the process of applying for a job, I had no idea of the importance of using a cover letter. I, like many people, thought that applying for a job involved sending a copy of my resume and then having a formal interview. Little did I know that the technique of using a cover letter can greatly improve my chances of obtaining the job.

I thought the advice given about cover letters in the articles was very informative. I most certainly agree that cover letters should be personalized to each individual company. A "mass" cover letter would not be beneficial because it would essentially be the same as the resume. Gathering information and doing research on each company and letting the company know you have done your "homework" is key. It will let the company know you are serious about the job.

Using the "P.S." technique seems like a very smart idea. It adds a touch of personalization to your cover letter, and it lets the company know that you have taken time to write the letter directly to them. I am going to try to utilize this technique in my own cover letter.

No comments: