Sunday, March 16, 2008

Lying on Your Resume

The work force is becoming a more and more competitive atmosphere, and it is increasingly harder to get a job. It is sad to find out that over 50% of resumes have false information in them, but it does not surprise me. People are trying to find a competitive advantage, and when they can't find one they turn to fiction.

It is no surprise that more people are being caught with false information on their resumes. With technology expanding at an exponential rate, it is easy for employers to discover if information is true or not. I would not be surprised to see new programs in the near future to help combat false information on resumes.

People who are honest don't always come out on top. A person who has lied on his or her resume might get a job over an honest person because of the credentials that are listed. One of the facts of life is "life is not fair," but when it comes to circumstances like this, a person should not be forced to embellish to be successful. I would hope that more extreme measures are taken when exploring whether the information on a resume is true or not, and the punishments should be to the extreme when false information is found.

I hope that I am able to be successful enough to have a great resume, but if I don't I hope that I have enough character to accept my resume for what it is. Things eventually work out for people who do the right thing.

No comments: